Uche Agba (Credit pic to SUFC media)
PETALING JAYA, Sept 26 – On a cold and chilly night at the City Stadium in Georgetown, newly promoted Sarawak United stunned Penang FC with an impressive 3-1 win in their opening Group A match of the Malaysia Cup – the region’s oldest football competition which celebrates its 100th Anniversary this year.
The Golden Hornbills, wounded after slipping on the homestretch and could only finish  runners-up to Negri Sembilan for the Premier League title, set the City Stadium ablaze with Nigerian hitman Uche Agba on fire with a brace.
His opening goal was a beauty when he executed an unstoppable bicycle kick despite being sandwiched by two markers to finish off an inch-perfect long ball from Tommy Mawat on the left in the 47th minute. 
This was followed by a flurry of goals in a spate of five minutes, beginning in the 54th minute when Khair Jones drilled home on the run after being being put through by Sandro Mendonca to make it 2-0 for Sarawak United.
Al Hafiz Harun, who has earned a national callup, pulled one back for the Panthers two minutes later.
However, Sarawak United were not finished yet on the soggy pitch. Uche Agba got his second on the night in the 58th minute for a 3-1 win and a roaring start in the prestigious Malaysia Cup competition.
For the record, Penang, won the Premier League last season and finished third in the Super League this year and were touted as favourites to win against Sarawak United. 
In another Group A match, Kuala Lumpur City FC continued their unbeaten home record at the KLFA Stadium in Cheras with a 3-1 win over another Super League outfit Sri Pahang.
The City Boys hit a brace through their Colombian ace Romel Morales who was on target in the 47th and 73rd minutes after Daniel Ting had opened accounts in the 19th minute.
Pahang’s goal was a gift from KL City’s Australian defender Giancarlo Gallifuoco turned the ball into his own net in an attempt to clear the danger.
Selangor FC, winners of the Malaysia Cup for a record 33 times, needed a late penalty to take 1-0 win over relegated Perak FC in a Group B match at the Petaling Jaya Stadium.
It was none other than Nigerian Ifedayo Olusegun who made it count from the spot in the 80th minute.
Terengganu FC also got off to a winning start in Group B with a 2-0 win over Premier League’s Kuching FC at the Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin Stadium in Gong Badak, Kuala Terengganu.
The Turtles got their goals through Lee Tuck (21st) and Faisal Halim in the 50th minute.   

About The Author


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here