PETALING JAYA, May 5 – It is tight at the top of the Super League but leaders Johor Darul Takzim (JDT) won against Kedah FC on Wednesday in a match that could prove crucial to their chances of mounting a title challenge for their eighth consecutive title.
The Southern Tigers earned a last-minute regulation time penalty when substitute Mohamadou Sumareh was felled inside the box by Kedah defender Renan Alves and referee Razlan Joffri Ali pointed to the spot.
JDT’s new signing Bergson Da Silva duly converted the spot-kick for his 10th goal of the season for the three points which kept the champions on the top of the league standings with 27 points from 12 matches.
Terengganu dislodged Kedah from the second spot following their 3-0 win over table proppers UiTM FC at the Sultan Zainal Mizan Stadium in Gong Badak, Kuala Terengganu.
The Turtles are now second on 24 points, with Kedah down one rung with 23 points, followed by Penang on 22 points after their 3-1 defeat to Kuala Lumpur City FC at the KLFA Stadium in Cheras.
The top of the table clash at the Darulaman Stadium in Alor Setar was played behind closed doors due to the Movement Control Order (MCO) imposed in the district because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
However, it was not short of drama with scuffles between players on and off the pitch. JDT and Kedah FC officials were also involved in a drama of their own at the halftime break.
In the second half Kedah substitute, Azamuddin Akil and JDT’s Corbin Ong were going for each other and had to be stopped by their teammates.
Both teams muffed chances in the first half with Rabih Ataya, and Kpah Sherman guilty for Kedah while Safawi Rasid, Bergson, and Gonzalo Cabrera were the culprits for the visitors.
Kedah goalkeeper Shahril Saari was in his element and kept JDT at bay with some fine saves while at the other end JDT’s Farizal Marlias can be thankful for the post and the bar for stopping the ball from going in.
On the hour mark, Cabrera was knocked out cold after clattering into Alves and had to be stretchered out. He was replaced by Ariff Aiman.
At the KLFA Stadium in Cheras, it was the perfect birthday present for Kuala Lumpur City FC head coach Bojan Hodak when his team outplayed Penang FC 3-1 with skipper Paulo Josue hitting a grand hat-trick with goals in the 36th, 52nd (penalty), and 89th minutes. Penang scorer was Danial Ashraf.
Meanwhile, The Turtles were 2-0 up after 10 minutes of play with goals by David da Silva (8th) and Faisal Halim. Rahmat Makasuf scored the third in the 77th minute against winless UiTM FC.

About The Author


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here