Bernama pic
PETALING JAYA, Sept 8 – Kedah FC came back from a 3-1 down to share the spoils with bottom-placed UiTM FC for a 3-3 draw at the Darulaman Stadium in Alor Setar on Wednesday to go second place in the Super League standings after 21 matches.
The Red Eagles, playing without Kpah Sherman (Liberia) and Rabih Ataya (Lebanon), both on international duty in the World Cup qualifiers, found the going heavy after the skies opened up 15 minutes into the match.
Fatigue was another factor that bogged the Red Eagles who have been on the move to clear back logged matches because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Still, the homesters did enough to take a valuable point that pushed the team into second place in the league standings with 40 points – ahead of Penang FC on goal difference.
Kedah has a tally of 40-27 against Penang’s 35-28. In their last match on Sunday, Kedah is at home to Melaka United while Penang will entertain Terengganu FC at the City Stadium in the battle for second spot. Johor Darul Takzim (JDT) has already won the league title for the eighth year with 54 points.
Skipper Baddrol Bakhthiar opened scoring for Kedah with a powerful header from a cross on the right by Azamuddin Akil in the 37th minute.
However, UiTM FC equalised three minutes later from the spot after Brazilian defender Renan Alves gave away a penalty when he brought down Sean Gan Gianelli inside the box.
Dennis Buschening made no mistake from the spot, blasting it past Kedah goalkeeper Shahril Saari and give his team the much needed booster for the halftime break.
UiTM FC were 2-1 up after 47 minutes when South Korean Kwon Yonghyun capitalised on a weak pass by Alves to slot the ball home with Shahril caught off-guard. Kedah was stunned and lost its rhythm on the heavy pitch.
UiTM FC gained in confidence and it was 3-1 after 64 minutes. It took a cheeky backheel by substitute Ariff Ar-Rasyid to get his name into the scoresheet after Shahril had blocked an earlier attempt by him.
Kedah, however, was back in the game after making two changes and brought in Fikhri Zulkiflee and Fandi Othman in the 73rd minute. The duo made an instant impact on the team with Fandi assisting Fikhri for his dipping header that beat UiTM FC keeper Zamri Selamat in the 74rd minute.
Ivory Coast striker Kipre Tchetche fired home the equaliser in the 80th minute for a valuable point.

About The Author


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here